Tuesday, May 5, 2009

DPS: Dumber Per Second


I am sure that others have noticed the same things that I have noticed. If you are DPS, you can usually get away with not knowing your asshole from you elbow. The obvious exception is tough progession fights.


This has never been more evident to me than since the time I got my Ret Pally to 80. As a tank, I am always aware of my surroundings. I notice mobs running towards healers or dps and swiftly taunt or intervene. I see all of the bad shit on the ground and easily move myself out of the void zone just waiting to swallow me. I can do the Heigan Dance with no issues walking backwards.


When it comes to DPS, I usually do an ostrich...except instead of sticking my head in the ground, it goes straight up my ass.


I dont know what it is, but taking the burden off of a tank or healer and having them DPS can make them become instant retards (myself included). Put me in a raid as a tank or healer and I will be a superstar. Put me in as DPS and I will probably get myself killed repeatedly.


A Sarth 25 Pug I did last night made me realize just how lazy I get when I am just DPSing. I died to a void zone on the first drake. I NEVER die to void zones. Then on Sarth I died a horrible death after getting hit by a lava wave (/shame) and getting pulverized by a rogue (enraged) elemental.


I really does get embarrasing. Sure I can put out decent DPS for my gear, but give me a two hander instead of a sword and board, and I become a kamikaze goat demon.


I have come to the conclusion that DPSing after tanking or healing for so long makes you so much dumber.....and being dumb never felt so good :)

8 comments:

Fettsbounty said...

To be fair... for me at least... the Lava Waves on Sarth were acting funny. As they seemed to disappear right after they initially rise, and then reappear halfway through it's course. Still doing full damage when it was "gone". So you may have just not seen it because of that.

Darraxus said...

I noticed when I was dead that they appeared to keep jumping back and forth oddly enough.

Anonymous said...

So what you are saying is that Tanking and Healing made you dumb...

and now that you are DPS is is obvious to everyone?

Try it in Cloth!

Darraxus said...

I know all about the cloth. Have a 70 Warlock and a 58 mage. Squishy.

Cassini said...

That's the exact opposite of how I have found the transition from a dps mage to a tanking paladin!

As a dps I could stand at distance from the commotion up front and I had plenty of time during spell casts to look around and see what was happening.

As a tank I'm stuck up front smack bang in the middle of that train wreck and I find I have much more to concentrate on and much less time to actually worry about what everyone else is doing. Ironic that I actually need to worry about everyone else much more than I did as a mage!

Misneach said...

/agree

I suck at DPS. I have such a hard time getting my brain to work that way. Something I need to work on.

Copernicus said...

I get the same way. As a tank, situational awareness is my primary job. I know exactly where everything is at all times, and can tell people not even on my screen that they need to move up to avoid an incoming pat.

When I switch to my elemental shaman, however, all I'm looking at is the big numbers popping up over the mob's head. Oh look! 10k Lava Burst crit! *dead to void zone* Aw crap.

Unknown said...

This is not ralated to this post, but the blog in general. I'm looking for a RSS feed or a email adress to contact you, but I can't find either. Am I missing something here?