Thursday, June 18, 2009

First time I have said this.....

WoW really is going hardcore casual. Just reading over some of the recent "ptr patchnotes" on MMO Champion and I came across this.

  • Emblem System Changes
    • Both the 10 and 25 player instances of the Crusaders' Coliseum drop a new Emblem of Triumph.
    • Any dungeons that previously dropped Emblems of Heroism or Valor, such as Naxxramas or Heroic Halls of Stone, will now drop Emblems of Conquest instead. Emblems of Conquest can still be converted to Valor or Heroism.
    • The heroic dungeon daily quest will now reward 2 Emblems of Triumph and the normal daily dungeon quest will reward 1 Emblem of Triumph.
    • The existing achievements to collect 1, 25, 50, etc. Emblems of Heroism, Valor, and Conquest have been converted to Feats of Strength since Heroism and Valor Emblems are no longer attainable.
    • New achievements have been added to collect various amounts of any combination of emblems


    What is this all about? Everyone gets full 8.5 gear? It will be nice for a gearing standpoint, but why would a lot of people even want to run harder raids anymore. Things will be so easy to get thru heroics and Naxx 10.

    On one hand, this will make Heroics and 10 mans much more popular again. The bad thing is that the regular gear that comes from them will become completly obsolete.

    What are your thoughts on this change?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah Kara badge runs. Be sure to bring an enchanter, and sell sell sell any abyss crystals you may be sitting on. Oh man, speed runs through naxx anyone?

Darraxus said...

That is exactly what I envision. I dont have much reason to go to Naxx atm, but will do so every week going forward. OS 10 will be on the schedule as well.

Frida said...

I just got around to read the patch notes on the patch, and I must really say I'm unsure about the whole deal. Yeah, sure, more hardcore raiders get to kill more bosses and have a chance at Ulduar and hard mode gear in addition to t8.5. But still, a bit of the glory of doing Ulduar 25 is getting the t8.5 though progress and hard work. Not pugging Naxx a night you're bored. I know Blizz wants to make WoW easier for the players that do it all hardcore. Tho, I'm not sure if this is the way to go.

Tarsus said...

Hey, Heroics! I remember those. Good to have something to do in game between raids other than farm and do dailies.

Animagis said...

1. Conquest badges don't give "full tier 8.5", merely two pieces.

2. While I don't relish the idea of Isle of Quel'danas style badge farming being reintroduced, Blizzard realized that the barrier to entry of the raiding endgame would be insurmountable without a change. Business decision, as usual.

3. I'm with Tarsus. Yay for heroics being useful again.

Animagis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Copernicus said...

I thought having seperate badge levels was a pretty good idea. What I thought was backwards was being able to buy one lesser badge by using a higher one. It should have gone the other way. You should be able to turn in ten badges of heroism for one valorous and ten valorous for one conquest.

It makes me wonder how the current badge items are going to be priced, when they all require the same badge to purchase.

kyrilean said...

I'm seriously getting closer and closer to quitting...

Captain The First said...

From a soloist perspective it's quite a welcome change. Gives me room to gear my alts somewhat quicker and solo just that one instance further with gear that I couldn't otherwise.

From a game economics standpoint the easier things get the less worth things become. Not really my recommended route to take from a design perspective.