Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Hot Topic: The Badge/JP System

Several people have been talking about the history of the badge system in WoW.

Rohan: http://blessingofkings.blogspot.com/2011/06/root-problem.html

Shintar: http://priestwithacause.blogspot.com/2011/06/annotated-history-of-badge-system.html

and to an extent http://trollshaman.blogspot.com/2011/06/sanity-deadzone.html

What are my thought on the badge/JP think. I say that the best options are

a) Keep the instances system as is. Reward people who want to run them.
b) Add another way to earn justice points etc.

No every one likes instances. Lots of people like loot.

What if there were a couple of different ways to get what you want?

Some of my ideas are

1) Daily Quests that reward JP: They already had something like this in BC. Lets put it back in the game. Maybe each daily quest is like half the JP that you get from a boss. Or a quarter. It would be something for those that dont like to instance or don't always have the time.

I think it would also help keep some bads out of instances.

2) Make Justice Points a new currency that can be TRADED. You gain justice points in dungeon runs. You have nothing to spend it on except ridiculously overpriced items the blizzard put at a vendor. Trade them to someone who wants them. 1000 JP for 10 stacks of ore? I am sure there are plenty of people out there that would use this system.

3)Consolidate JP/Honor. You earn one currency. You spend it on what you want. Sometimes it is nice to throw in a bit of PVP. It would also give people who have already bought everything something else to spend the points on.

Those are a few of my ideas. What do you think.

6 comments:

Arioch said...

I'm OK with JP, it's VP I have an issue with right now. Patch 4.2 will fix it temporarily when my points get downgraded, but anything over the cap will get lost.

Anyway, I earn a crapton of VP on my priest because I raid with him. I don't get any JP because I don't run instances. I want to buy heirloom gear but I can't seem to voluntarily downgrade my VP to JP to do so. There's only so many pairs of VP boots you can buy before you don't need any more and no one else wants them.

After 4.2 I'll have a few pieces to buy, but then it will be right back to the same problem of accumulating VP on a character that can't spend it.

Adgamorix said...

I hate the concept of being able to trade VP/JP with someone - I really hope it never comes to fruition.

I guess I don't understand your beef with Blizzard's 'overpriced' turn in.

As it sits now - you earn JP for Heroics, and VP for Raids. VP buys you current raid level gear, JP buys you heirlooms and heroic gear - plus you can trade your PvE points for PvP points of the same level.

If you get to the stage where you don't need/want VP/JP gear - why does it matter? I'm sure that Firelands will have something equivelant to Primordial Saronite that you'll be able to sink your VPs into (those crafting orb things) - and you'll get JPs for old gear.

If they added the ability to get points by doing dailies, I think you'd REALLY see the dungeon queue times go to hell. Forget running a dungeon, I'll grab my DPS buddy and zerg dailies. The goal is to get more people into them - not more people avoiding them.

Darraxus said...

@ Arioch: I dont raid, so I dont usually have a problem with excess VP (in fact I have not bought a single VP piece).

@ Adgamorix: The trading was just a thought.

As far as the dungeon queues go.....do you want competent players who want to be there or players that dont like to instance and are forced to if they want gear?

Rohan said...

The problem with Option 3 is that one of those methods will prove to better/faster/more efficient than the other. Then you'll end up with the situation where everyone feels they have to PvP for PvE gear, or do PvE for PvP gear. Thus there will be much complaining.

It's easier to have two separate currencies, so you PvP to get PvP gear, and PvE to get PvE gear. Add in a conversion method with a price to make it non-optimal, and it's pretty much as good as it gets.

Rohan said...

Also, for some reason, none of your links in this post are showing up for me.

Darraxus said...

Yeah I noticed that too. I dont know why it is doing that when I post.