Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Low Level Tanking = Fail

I have been leveling an Orc Warrior on the Alexstraza server with my sister. Well, she is basically running me through shit. Now I remember why. Tanking at that level (22) is terrible. Rage generation is bad, and you dont have taunt yet. Or anything else that is fun.

I got into a run in BFD, an istance that I am not at all familiar with. Tanking was non existent for the most part. I was pretty much an aggro merry-g0-round. And you know what? It didnt really matter. Nobody was in serious danger of dying until we pulled the entire room on the Murloc boss.

At level 22, there is no such thing as spamming something. I heroic strike once, and my rage is gone, gone, gone. If you are going to tank anything below level 40ish, I would suggest just going DPS and whacking stuff with a two hander. I dont even have defensive stance yet.

I love tanking. I LOVE warrior tanking. I just hate tanking as a lowbie.

8 comments:

Guthammer said...

Umm...

Warrior Defensive stance is gotten at 10 via quest from your trainer.

20 for Battle, 30 for Berserker.

Xirella said...

I also tried this horrible experiment before. After the first pass through to 80, being a warrior at a low level was absolutely balls. They only give you a few toys, and you can never use them all at once. Freakin' stances.

It's worth it when you hit 40, at least. Mmm, shield slam...

Arioch said...

From the healing side (I'm leveling a holy pally through instances), warriors had it much better off in the 15-20 bracket than pally tanks did.

Now I'm in the 20s and pallies are pulling ahead.

And of course, that's only looking at instances where the DPS wasn't snacking on paint chips the entire run and actually let the tank do their thing.

Darraxus said...

Cheers @Guth....been a while since I leveled a warrior.

Rohan said...

Heh, I think you missed the Defensive Stance quest.

Low level warrior tanking is pretty easy, I find. 2x Sunder, or Sunder + Revenge are enough to lock the mob to you.

I never bother with Heroic Strike, and just float rage from fight to fight.

Vordan said...

I think any spec as a warrior pre 40 is pretty bad.

"D" said...

I'm the exact opposite, I've been leveling a warrior (just dinged 20) and have both tanked and dpsed some instances (RFC, Deadmines, and WC). Besides the rage starvation (death to hunters that shoot mobs I haven't pulled yet, GRRR!!) I love it! Sunder ftw! I haven't changed my bar for a while, so I guess I have Revenge somewhere - should probably dig that out.

If I get the initial aggro, I have no problems with threat as long as the dps aren't shit-for-brains (which they usually are, admittedly).

I'd have to say that I wish I had leveled a warrior sooner - SO much fun! Charging into battle ROCKS!

Darth Solo said...

I think pally tanking at that level is easier.