Thursday, August 2, 2012

WoW: Is it worth gearing up for MoP

So, we are still running Heroics as a group, gearing up some of our less geared alts (except for me for the most part as I am mostly tanking or healing with my two best geared toons).

The idea behind this is to make the MoP content easier once we get there. It usually means that we will actually keep our gear a level or two instead of replacing it with the first thing we get as a quest reward.

I actually quite like getting upgrades at the start of a new expansion, and dont mind losing my "hard earned" epics. Then again, I did not do any raiding in Cata. I went to Tol Barad to do bosses there a couple of times and that was the extent of it.

That brings up another question. Do you feel like all of that raiding time was wasted because you upgrade your gear in two seconds?

I imagine if you only raid for new gear, that would be the case. If you raid because you enjoy it, that may not be the case.

I will continue helping everyone get the gear they need for a couple of reasons.

1) It will help them level easier and we will be able to do max level group content sooner.

2) Some of the group are actually gearing for roles they have not traditionally done. Fett is starting to tank on his warrior, my wife wants to try healing on her druid, and another of our has already started to heal on her Paladin.

The new roles are nice, because it opens up some options down the road. If I dont want to bring Darraxus, I wont have to.

My main goals prior to Mists is to level my 83 Mage the rest of the way, finish leveling the two alchemists I have that are not maxed out, and sell a crap ton of glyphs when the last pre-expansion patch comes out.

4 comments:

Kal said...

Is it worth gearing now? I think "Why not?" It's not a waste of time if you're getting something out of it, which seems to be the case. These tier set bonuses will soon be a thing of the past, so enjoying them now (and cross-training roles) will expand each person's experience in a way that may not be available ever again.

From Wrath to Cata, I only had 1 leveled and geared character, my Hunter, in full T10. About the time Cata quest rewards were upgrades (82-83), I was thinking, "About time, I'm sick of looking at these pieces."

Anonymous said...

I've never minded replacing gear at the beginning of new expansions. That's the fun of it to me!

SirFWALGMan said...

I would not ever say it was a waste.. but if you can buy greens in MoP from some Panda that are almost as good as your current stuff then it gets a little discouraging.

Fettsbounty said...

Quite honestly, I'm trying to pick up the tanking pieces from the Twilight Heroics because I like the way it looks in green. If anything, it might be the one that replaces my Purple Judgement set.